If you own an oriental rug, you know how special it is. What you need to know about rug bleeding.
These rugs are not only beautiful, but they also hold value and add character to your home. Unfortunately, cleaning them can be tricky, and if you’re not careful, you can damage the intricate patterns and colors.
You might even accidentally cause the colors to bleed together, ruining the rug’s appearance and reducing its value. But with the right precautions and careful attention, you can keep your rug looking beautiful and preserve its integrity.
Natural fiber area rugs and oriental rugs are more susceptible to color bleeding because of the way the fibers are dyed. Plus, the characteristics of natural fibers.
Trust Brooke’s Chem-Dry to give your rug the proper care it deserves during the cleaning process, and we’ll ensure it’s thoroughly cleaned while maintaining its rich colors and stunning design.
Why Rug Bleeding Occurs
When it comes to oriental rug cleaning, there are some important factors to consider that can cause color bleeding. As someone who values your rug’s unique beauty, it’s essential to take proper care and precautions during the cleaning process. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Natural dyes may not be colorfast. Traditional methods used in making oriental rugs often involve natural fibers and pigments, which can make dyes less stable. Be cautious with water-soluble dyes during cleaning, as flooding can lead to major problems.
- Avoid damaging cleaning methods. Dry cleaning and steam cleaning may not be suitable for oriental rugs and can leave behind residues that can cause dyes to bleed and damage the rug.
- Don’t use excessive dye. If too much dye is used to color the rug, the excess dye may wash out during cleaning and contaminate surrounding areas if not stabilized or protected.
- Be mindful of alkaline substances and high heat. Even if dyes are stable or have been stabilized, they can still react and cause bleeding when exposed to high heat or alkaline substances. Be careful choosing a rug cleaning company. Most carpet cleaners use pre-sprays that are high on the ph scale, meaning high alkalinity.
- Fading is also a risk with such exposure.
- Address pet accidents quickly. Corrosive substances like pet urine can cause dyes to bleed before or during cleaning if not promptly and appropriately removed.
Preserving the beauty and value of your oriental rug is important, and taking precautions during cleaning is essential to avoid color bleeding and fading. Our oriental rug cleaners have some tips to minimize the risk of damage to your rug:
- First, keep your rug away from direct sunlight as UV rays can cause fading.
- Second, act fast and clean up spills or accidents right away to prevent staining and bleeding. Use white paper towels or a white cloth to absorb as much liquid as possible and call a professional oriental rug cleaner to remove the rest of the stain.
- Finally, schedule regular appointments with our professional team for a yearly cleaning to extend the lifespan of your rug and preserve its rich color palette. We’ll analyze your rug to determine the best cleaning approach to maintain its integrity and avoid color bleeding.
If you want your rug to be handled by a team of professionals who will treat it with care and maintain its best condition, simply call Brooke’s Chem-Dry at (816) 841-4776 today! We’re the expert rug cleaners in Kansas City and we’re eager to help you keep your rug in its finest form. In the over 20+ years of being in business, we have cleaned hundreds of rugs over that time. Thrilling our customers by bringing back the life and beauty to their rugs. You can trust us to do an excellent job on your rugs.